China Clarifies Visa Waiver Status for Canadians

China's ambassador states no formal visa-free policy for Canadians yet, despite PM Carney's remarks. Details await official announcement. Recent talks focused on boosting bilateral exchanges.

图片
图片
图片

Source: OT-Team(G), 观察者网

图片

China has not formally announced visa-free entry for Canadian citizens, its ambassador to Canada said, despite recent public remarks by Prime Minister Mark Carney suggesting the policy would be introduced soon.

图片

In a recent interview with The Canadian Press, Chinese Ambassador Wang Di said the measure has not yet taken effect and that further details depend on an official announcement from Beijing. Observers say this indicates the proposed visa waiver remains under discussion rather than finalized.

"China has indeed noted that Prime Minister Carney has publicly stated that the Chinese side informed him China is actively considering granting unilateral visa-free treatment to Canadian citizens," Wang said. "As for what specific visa policy will be introduced, we still need to wait for an official announcement from the Chinese side."

When asked about the potential timing of any policy adjustment and how long Canadians might be allowed to stay in China without a visa, Wang said no details are available at this stage.

He noted that in recent years China has introduced 30-day visa-free entry policies for citizens of dozens of countries, covering most European nations and several developed Asian economies. Wang added that Beijing hopes to see more frequent people-to-people exchanges to advance the agreements reached between the two countries last week.

"If further facilitation of travel between our two countries can be achieved, it will be beneficial to exchanges between our peoples," he said, emphasizing that China consistently supports and encourages people-to-people ties.

Carney, speaking at a press conference in Beijing on January 16, said the Chinese side had committed to "ensuring that Canadians will enjoy visa-free travel to China." He reiterated the point in a January 18 social media post, writing: "Nearly two million Canadians are of Chinese descent, many with family and friends across the Pacific. As we relaunch this relationship, China has committed to soon allow visa-free entry for Canadian citizens."

So far, neither the Chinese government nor state media have issued statements confirming the claim. Global Affairs Canada has not immediately responded to Wang's comments.

At present, Canadian passport holders can travel visa-free to Hong Kong, Macao, and China's Hainan province, but entry to the Chinese mainland still requires a visa application and associated fees, except for certain transit passengers traveling between Canada and third countries.

Carney's remarks on potential visa-free access have drawn strong interest within Canada's Chinese community, with several community media outlets reporting on the possibility. A travel agency in Burnaby, British Columbia, which primarily serves Chinese-speaking clients in the Greater Vancouver area, said it has received numerous inquiries about visa-free travel to China since Carney's statements. A staff member advised customers to wait for an official announcement from the Chinese government.

In recent years, both countries have taken steps to facilitate travel. In 2024, China reduced visa fees for Canadian applicants.

Carney's visit to China from January 13 to 17 marked the first trip by a Canadian prime minister since 2017. The two sides reached broad consensus on deepening economic and trade cooperation, signed a China–Canada roadmap for economic and trade cooperation, and formed preliminary joint arrangements to address bilateral commercial issues.

They also signed a memorandum of understanding under which the two countries' national tourism authorities will cooperate on promotional activities themed around natural scenery, exchanges between sister cities, and major events including the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

图片
图片
图片
图片
图片




















New China Issues Lifetime Football Bans to 73, Penalizes 13 Clubs

Summary: Chinese football authorities imposed lifetime bans on 73 individuals for violations like match-fixing. 13 clubs face penalties including points deductions and fines as part of a broader anti-corruption reform effort.

China Issues Lifetime Football Bans to 73 Individuals, Sanctions 13 Clubs

Chinese football authorities have announced sweeping disciplinary measures following a long-running investigation into corruption and misconduct within the sport. A total of 73 individuals have been banned for life from all football-related activities, while 13 professional clubs will face penalties ahead of the upcoming season.

The announcement was made after a joint investigation involving the Chinese Football Association (CFA) and multiple government bodies. 

Officials said the actions were taken to safeguard the integrity of football competitions and to restore public confidence in the sport.

Lifetime Bans for Individuals


The lifetime bans apply to individuals across different roles in football, including administrators, coaches, referees, and former players. Authorities stated that those punished were found to have committed serious violations such as match-fixing, bribery, abuse of power, and illegal betting-related activities.

Some of the individuals had already been convicted in court and are serving prison sentences, while others were disciplined through administrative and regulatory procedures. The bans permanently prohibit them from participating in football in any professional capacity, including management, coaching, officiating, or player development.

Officials emphasised that the sanctions were based on verified evidence and due process, and that similar violations will continue to face severe consequences in the future.

图片

Penalties for Football Clubs

In addition to individual punishments, 13 football clubs from China's top professional leagues will receive sanctions linked to improper conduct involving former officials or players.

The penalties include:

  • Points deductions at the start of the new season

  • Financial fines, varying by case


Disciplinary warnings and compliance requirements

The CFA confirmed that the severity of each punishment reflects the level of involvement and responsibility identified during the investigation. 

Some clubs may begin the season with reduced or even negative points totals.

Broader Reform Effort

Chinese authorities described the measures as part of a broader effort to clean up football governance and strengthen supervision across all levels of the sport. 

In recent years, football has been a key focus of anti-corruption efforts, with reforms aimed at improving transparency, accountability, and competition fairness.

Officials stated that ongoing monitoring mechanisms will remain in place and that football organisations are expected to reinforce internal management and ethical standards.

Looking Ahead


The CFA said it hopes the disciplinary actions will serve as a strong warning and help create a healthier environment for the development of football in China. 

Authorities reiterated that maintaining fairness and credibility in competition remains a top priority, particularly as the domestic leagues prepare for future seasons.

Image
Image
Image

8-Year-Old Wakes From 55-Day Coma After Hearing Classmates' Voices

After a severe accident, a boy in China regained consciousness following weeks of his mother playing recordings of his classmates' messages. Their loving support spurred his miraculous recovery.

Classmates' Voices Help 8-Year-Old Chinese Boy Wake Up After 55-Day Coma
图片

An 8-year-old boy in Hunan Province, China, woke up after spending 55 days in a coma following a serious car accident that left him with severe brain and lung injuries. Doctors had initially warned that his chances of recovery were low.

Throughout his coma, his mother remained determined, trying different ways to help him regain consciousness. Following medical advice, she played familiar sounds from his daily life, including school routines and songs he loved.

His classmates and teacher joined in, recording heartfelt messages calling his name and sharing stories from school. Even simple greetings like "Chuxi, wake up soon, we miss you" were played repeatedly.

After weeks of these efforts, Liu began showing small signs of awareness. He moved his eyelids and smiled when hearing his classmates' voices. On the 55th day, he fully regained consciousness and was able to move his hand.

The boy's teacher and classmates later visited him in the hospital, bringing cards, toys, and warm messages. His mother called the recovery a miracle, expressing gratitude to everyone who supported her son. Liu continues to recover, inspiring many with his story of hope and the power of caring connections.

Source:https://www.ntv.com/feature/how-classmates-helped-8-year-old-chinese-boy-wake-up-after-55-day-coma-10908446

Image

图片
图片

” Sex IQ Godmother ” Banned Amid Controversy in China

Chinese influencer Zhou Yuan, known as "Sex IQ Godmother," has been ordered to stop all teaching. Authorities in Changsha are investigating her controversial courses on "feminine charm," which critics say teach women to please men. Her online content and academy have been suspended.

图片


"Sex IQ Godmother" Ordered to Cease Teaching Amid Growing Public Controversy in China


图片


Chinese internet influencer Zhou Yuan, who refers to herself as the "Sex IQ Godmother," has come under official scrutiny over her controversial "feminine charm" training courses. Authorities in Changsha have launched a multi-agency investigation and ordered her to halt all teaching activities immediately.


Check our latest video on China Visa and foreign-related knowledge!

Follow our channel for updates 👇





Zhou gained viral attention through her persona and the "Black & White Sex IQ Academy", which promoted paid online and offline courses aimed at helping women enhance their emotional and sexual intelligence. Her videos—including a widely circulated tutorial on the so-called "X-shaped gaze"—sparked criticism for allegedly promoting the idea that women should mold themselves to please men.


According to the Market Supervision Bureau of Yuhua District, Changsha, a joint task force involving multiple departments has been assembled. The case has been formally filed, and Zhou has been ordered to cease all instruction while the investigation proceeds.


Controversial Courses and Viral Techniques


The "godmother" of Sex IQ reportedly offered both online and small-group offline courses, including three-day and two-day boot camps. The 999 RMB online course package featured modules on emotional dynamics, feminine allure, and healing—alongside flirtation techniques and psychology-based relationship advice.


Despite online criticism, staff from the academy previously stated that offline sessions were proceeding as planned. Online courses, briefly re-released between January 25 and 26, were again hidden from public access. While Zhou's own accounts and those tied to the academy were suspended for platform violations, secondhand versions of her content are still being traded across unofficial channels.


Platform Shutdowns and Official Response


The official WeChat store for "Black & White Academy Selection" was shut down for breaching platform policies. Sales staff claimed the full course would eventually include over 500 sessions, but only partial modules are currently available—mostly centered on gender psychology and romantic behavior coaching.


Changsha officials emphasized their commitment to the investigation. "The district has taken note of the situation, and the leadership is paying close attention. A multi-department task force has been formed and the matter is under formal review," the Yuhua District Market Supervision Bureau confirmed to Nandu reporters.


All educational operations under Zhou Yuan's "Sex IQ Godmother" brand are currently suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.


Source: 南方都市报






图片

Get daily news, tips, and events in Shanghai

Connect with expat communities and industry experts


图片

For the latest jobs&policy updates, scan the code below to follow AnyJob


图片

If you have any questions about China visa applications (work visa, company registration and more), please contact our visa consultant Freya.


Click "Wow" if you like this article

图片

Bodybuilder Bi Jiaqi Dies at 26 After Reporting Swollen Head

Fitness influencer Bi Jiaqi died suddenly. He recently joked about his head being swollen. Friends noted prior signs like purple lips and bulging neck veins, possible indicators of oxygen/circulatory issues. Experts link extreme pre-competition dehydration and fat loss to heart strain, increasing thrombosis and sudden death risk.

图片



A bodybuilding influencer has died suddenly in his sleep, aged 26.

Fitness content creator Bi Jiaqi, who was known for his grueling workouts and great physique, passed away on Friday morning.

Bodybuilder influencer Bi Jiaqi, 26, dies after complaining his 'head was swollen like a steamed bun'

Only hours before, the influencer had been discussing plans for his next bodybuilding competition with friends online.

Friends reported noticing he didn't seem right in the days leading up to his death, but just put it down to training fatigue.

In recent photos of the bodybuilder, they noticed his lips appeared purple and his eyes looked tired.

They also said the blood vessels in his neck were abnormally bulging.

These symptoms can suggest oxygen deficiency and circulatory problems, which can lead to cardiac arrest.

The exact cause of his death has yet to be announced.


图片

The fitness influencer had recently bought a new house and had promised to host a dinner party for friends when it was time to move in.

Tragically, he passed away before it was renovated. 

Earlier this month, Jiaqi, who came from Ningbo in China, posted a selfie and joked that his 'head was swollen like a steamed bun', as reported by NeedToKnow.

Friends reported noticing he didn't seem right in the days leading up to his death, but just put it down to training fatigue

His training partners thought it was a normal reaction to extreme fat loss and pre-competition dehydration.

Many athletes reduce their body fat percentage to single digits through extreme water and salt restriction to make their muscles more defined, but it can put severe strain on the heart.

Zhang Yu, a cardiologist at Fuwai Hospital in Shenzhen, said: 'Long-term high-intensity fitness training can place a huge burden on the cardiovascular system.

'In particular, the dehydration and fat reduction methods commonly used by bodybuilders before competitions can make the blood thicker, greatly increasing the risk of thrombosis.

'Exercise is a double-edged sword – both inactivity and excessive exercise are bad for the heart.

Tragically, the fitness content creator passed away on Friday morning before it was renovated

'Long-term overload training may lead to myocardial fibrosis and myocardial hypertrophy, which may increase the risk of sudden death.'

The bodybuilder's Weibo followers were shocked by his sudden passing.

Many said they thought he was 'invincible.'

Jiaqi's body will undergo an autopsy to establish the exact cause of death.





图片

图片




Source: 

Editor: Crystal H


Advertisement


图片


Most Popular


图片


A Chinese man survived five days trapped underwater while diving in a cave by living on raw fish until he was rescued. Photo: SCMP composite/Douyin
图片
 



Lost diver survive 5 days underwater,lives on fish until rescued

图片
图片


Asian Nations Lead in Visa-Free Travel, Passport Power Shifts?

A Chinese mother has drawn online attention and sympathy after delivering food with her four-year-old daughter, who has a tumor, in a courier box.  Photo: SCMP composite/Douyin


Courier puts sick daughter in delivery box while working as...

图片
图片

Press "wow" 图片

图片