ALERT | New visa policies during the outbreak

Have you received this text recently?


This is actually about a change in visa policies during the ongoing coronavirus epidemic.

AnyHelper this week received a lot of questions from readers about their visa issues. Heres a list of Q&As that hopefully can help you understand what the change is and solve your problems during this special period.

REMEMBER: Any visa questions can be directed to our visa specialist Cindy (contact below).

Im NOT in China

Situation 1

According to Shanghai Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs policy, employers can process applications for foreigner's work permit extension (Class B and C) and cancellation online. Submission of physical application materials for verification is not required.




I'm not in China, how can I apply for an extension?

Work permit is over 30 days of the expiration date:

Step 1 | You will need:

1. Scanned copy of work permit (front)

2. Scanned copy of valid visa page

3. Scanned copy of new contract

4. Tax records for the past 12 months*

5. Screenshot of company's tax filing (with company seal)

* Application for Class B (with 2-year work experience and Bachelors degree) or Class C doesnt require tax records for the past 12 months.

Step 2 | Sign documents

Step 3 | Upload and submit

We will send docs that need to be stamped to your employer and upload and submit scanned copies of the docs online afterwards. Once approved, your work permit will be successfully extended. This step will take about 2 weeks.

Work permit is within 30 days of the expiration date:

The exit-entry bureau will NOT accept any extension applications if the work permit expired less than 30 days. You need to re-apply overseas according to foreign application rules. Enter China with a Z visa after receiving the entry notification and then apply for the extension.




My visa has expired, what should I do?

If you have an expired visa, and it doesn't exceed 3 months from expiration, apply for an L visa or M visa to enter China and then apply for a work visa. A physical examination is required if your visa has expired more than 3 months after re-entering China.

Im in China

Situation 2




Are foreigners allowed to exit as usual during the period of epidemic prevention and control?

Due to entry restrictions adopted by some countries and regions, it is advised that foreigners who need to exit from China, should learn in advance entry requirements of destination countries or regions to avoid financial and time losses in case of any entry refusals. Those who travel to countries or regions without entry restrictions, are advised to arrive at exit ports well ahead of departure time for necessary checks.

Travel restrictions on travelers from China

(as of Feb. 6)

Click to enlarge the table.




How to deal with the situation that a foreigners visa, stay or residence permit expires during the epidemic prevention and control?

According to Exit and Entry Administration Law of the PRC, foreigners should exit China or apply for extension at the EEA authorities before the visa, stay or residence permit expires. In light of the relevant laws and regulations and current situation, those who are unable to exit as scheduled or extend the visas, stay or residence permits due to the reason of epidemic prevention and control shall be given a lighter or mitigated or be exempted from punishment by the EEA authorities depending upon circumstances.

Any visa questions can be directed to our visa specialist Cindy.

If you have any questions during the outbreak period (e.g. where to buy masks, where to see a doctor, etc), AnyHelper (which owns AnyShanghai) customer support team will answer your questions in real-time from 9 am to 9 pm every day!

Follow AnyHelper and send your questions now!

You might also like:

Shanghai opens first Chinese permanent residence service center

Notice from National Immigration Administration

Short-term visa applicants were denied AGAIN!

VisaOfChina Is Now Part of AnyHelper!

AnyHelper Advisors


AnyHelper advisors provide professional suggestions and solutions to the expat communities. If you have questions related to their expertise, contact them by long-pressing the QR code. Cant extract the code? Click to enlarge the name card and long press on the code.

And more (Swipe LEFT)


Questions about life in China? Ask AnyHelper!

We're here 7 days a week from 9 am to 9pm!

Click "Wow" if you like this article