2021-06-10 18:08


Guide to Visa Application for bNewborn Babies in China

Guide to Visa Application for Newborn Babies  in China

In recent years, many foreigners have chosen to give birth to babies in China, but are not clear on the visa application for newborns.

Without valid visas or permits, the child can't leave China legally. And if the applications weren't submitted within 60 days after the birth date, there will be administrative penalties.

In this article, we will provide you with a detailed guide on how to apply for valid visas for newborns, including cases where both parents are foreign nationals and one of them is of Chinese nationality. 

(Take policies in Shanghai as an example)

A. If both parents are foreigners, applicants can apply for visa or residence permit.

A receipt we got for apply for residence permit for a newborn.

1. Submitting original and copy of both parents passports.

2. Submitting original and copy of infants Birth Certificate in China.

3. Original and copy of infants passport.

(Apply at the local consulate of your country in China)

If you need assistance with getting the passport and application process that follows, please feel free to contact VisaOfChina team, we can accompany and help with preparation in Shanghai.

4. If one of the parents works in Shanghai, he/she should submit an official application letter from the unit he/she works in. (provided by the company)

5. Submitting the Foreigner Visa and Residence Permit Application Form and  2-inches photograph.

6. Marriage certificate of parents. (Certificates issued by foreign authorities must be authenticated by Chinese embassies or consulates abroad)


Application for visa or residence permit should be submittedwithin 60 days after the infant was born.

B. If one of the parents is of Chinese nationality and is citizen of Shanghai,the infant could apply for the PRC Exit and Entry Permit

  • If the child joins Chinese nationality, he/she must register for Hukou normally (at the location of the Chinese parent's Hukou).

  • If the child joins foreign nationality, he/she needs to go through the following procedures.

Except for birth certificate/infants passport/father or mothers foreign passport/marriage certificate/2-inches  photographs mentioned above, the following additional materials are needed.

  • Original and copy of Chinese citizen ID card and Shanghai Household Registry(Hukou) or Shanghai residence permit().

    (If the Chinese parent's Hukou is not in Shanghai and doesn't have residence permit, he/she should apply at the location of the Hukou)

  • Application of Nationality Examination

    Nationality examination and verification must be done before the application. (at the local Eixt-Entry administration bureau


Both parents must be present for the application.

If exit-entry administration requires to interview the applicant or demand supplementary materials, however, the applicant fails to do so, the application will be deemed as cancelled.

Processing time

Within 7 business days for applications with complete documents required.

A receipt we got for apply for residence permit for a newborn.

Any questions about living in China?

Ask AnyHelper!

Follow AnyHelper and ask your questions now!

If you have any questions about China visa applications(work visa, PU letter, company registration and more), please contact our visa consultant Lisa (WeChat ID: AnyHelper_DD).

You might also like 

Up to 100,000 RMB Fine for not Canceling Your Permits Properly

Vaccines: Who Should Avoid Them?

Welcome to Join AnyHelper Local Community Groups

Chinese NIA Launches Hotline & Website in English Today!

Expat-Friendly Businesses

AnyBiz | Heart to Heart Shanghai - Help A Heart

AnyBiz | Lifeline - Mental Health Support Helpline

AnyBiz | Shanghai Sunrise - Scholarship & Mentorship Program

Expat Gamer is a gamer community incubated by AnyHelper!

If you are a game lover, follow Expat Gamer now!

Free promotion/network sharing for expat-friendly businesses. Learn more HERE.

Gabriel & Co. fine jewelry

  • China to Stop Provide First China to Stop Provide First Dose of Vaccine from June 10? Recently, the news has been circulating in many placesthat the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccination will be used up before June 9 , and the first dose of vaccination will be suspe
  • 27 Awesome Things to Do ThisJun 6-13: Bun Cha Cha Two Year Anniversary Image via promoter Vietnamese restaurantBun Cha Cha celebrates two years in the game with some crazy deals at both their shops during the week, culminating in a party on Sunday. Bun Cha Cha June 6
  • W Suzhou's WOOBAR PuBySophie Steiner The Place WOOBAR is the signature bar of the W Suzhou . During the day, this inconspicuous lobby bar serves up creative coffee beverages, bubble tea and light snacks, along with afternoon tea sets post-lunch. Image by Soph
  • 3-Year-Olds to Be Given COVIByJoshua Cawthorpe China hasapprovedthe expansion of its emergency vaccination campaign to include children as young as three years old, according to CGTN. Domestic manufacturers Sinopharm and Sinovac have both stated that phase I and II c
  • We're Hiring: SeniorThats is seeking a Senior Account Executive to work alongside our dedicated and dynamic international teams in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Sanya. Thats operates under Guangzhou JY International Cultural Communication Co., Lt

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments